No one can be a great leader unless they genuinely care about the success of everyone on their team.
How can you build a relationship with your team? Here are some examples from Outreach Magazine:
1. Treat people with respect - To communicate and demonstrate value to another human being is a great honor paid to them.
2. Express appreciation - It takes a couple of seconds to say thank you and less than a minute to express sincere appreciation.
3. Encourage often and generously - You can’t encourage people too much.
4. Look for the best in every person - If you look for the best in every person, you will find it.
5. Practice kindness naturally - Kindness is a commonly overlooked essential in leadership.
6. Listen well - Listening communicates value, respect and love.
7. Own your mistakes - People do not respect and eventually stop following leaders who don’t own and take responsibility for their mistakes.
8. Genuinely care about people - “People don’t care how much you know till they know how much you care.” —John Maxwell
When you show your team that you GENUINELY care about them professionally and personally, people will be more open to you as a person and as their leader, they will go over and beyond the call of duty to help their leader and, by extension, their organization achieves its goals and purpose.